Sunday, July 15, 2007

Amazons vs the NRA




Last year Gretchen told me she wanted to learn archery (why? "Because archery is shooting a bow and arrow"). This summer I noticed a one day course for beginners offered through the local parks an recreations division. I signed up the girls and watched in horror as we drove up to the class location. It was a shooting range!! You know the kind of place where people have NRA bumper stickers and stuffed deer are all over the walls, and there are really big trucks...
When I pictured my daughters learning archery I imagined a beautiful green lawn where a single target waited in the trees. I imagined Olympic athletes. As we drove to the class I told the girls about the Amazons- ancient women warriors who were such expert archers they would remove a one breast so as not to hinder their shot. I don't know what I was expecting from a $20 parks and rec class- maybe instructors in flowing gowns with a garland of laurels for the winner?
Nevertheless, the girls learned to shoot a bow, Jonathan had a good laugh at me, and the people at the range were perfectly civil!

1 comment:

michele said...

i love gretchen's reason for wanting to learn archery! at least they didn't have the girls shooting at deer or anything.